Monday, September 23, 2013

On Target

This weekend I was able to do the thing that I love to do the mostFor an entire hour and a half, I wandered aimlessly around Target.  It was the most magical time of the whole week.  Oh, don't let me forget to add, I wandered around Target.....alone!  It was amazing.  After that, the grass was greener, the sky was bluer, the Buckeys had a blowout of a game, and I know it is all because I was able to go to Target by myself.


You may be thinking to yourself, "Why Target?  What is so great about Target?"  and to you I say, "What isn't great about Target!?!?  They have EVERYTHING and things what you didn't even know you needed!  It is clean, and bright, and colorful.  They have everything from wine, to yoga pants, to kitchen gadgets.  They have snacks, really cute kids clothes, and wine.  They have all of the things that make me happy, like shoes, and books, and chocolate, and brownie mix, and wine!  Did I mention they have wine?  Well they DO!  A whole isle of it!  And better yet, they have it in BOXES, so there isn't that worry of breaking glass if the kids mess with it.  And it has a TAP on it, so you can just pour as much as you want, and it won't turn into vinegar if you are too tired to finish it off. (or pass out, which ever comes first.)

 I see other moms there too, and you can tell the ones that are there alone, without kids, for the first time in a long time, because they just have this certain smile on their face, and they avoid any isles with children in them.  And when we pass each other we grin, and nod our heads, and she knows you are kid free right now too because you have the same look you face.

I will say the only downfall when it comes to Target, is that their marketing is way too good.  I went in for dog food, and came out with dog food, dog treats, coffee creamer (they had  Salty Caramel MochaCostco doesn't have that!!  What a magical place!  I mean salty caramel mocha!!), caramel candy (because I decided that now was a good time to make caramel apples, WTH Target?? Why do you need to give me messages like that?), socks, and a deck of football shaped playing cards.  Some of the other things that almost went into my cart, but I restrained myself, were coasters for your wine glass that double as a tag for the stem that says, "I will be right back, don't throw this away" (Oh. My. Gosh!), a ghost themed dog collar (because who doesn't need that??) , a red velvet cake pop kit for halloween (so it looked like you were biting into a bloody eyeball!!  Adorable!), more yoga pants, snacks of various flavors, some really sweet shoes, little Halloween headbands for the girls, ghost marshmallows, Little People Snow White and the Seven dwarfs  dwarves little people (seems redundant) figures, and duck tape (it looked like mummy wrapping!!).  I always tell The Admiral that there is a $50 cover charge for Target, you have to spend that much or you can't shop there.  He rolls his eyes and looks balefully at me.  But the reality is, they just have really cool stuff, and it all looks awesome, and I am a consumer, and therefore must consume.  I justify it by the fact that I have a Redcard, so I automatically get 5% off anything I purchase, and there is no interest because it is a checkcard! 


But that is not all that Target has to offer!  There is a Starbucks right inside!  So not only can I shop for things I didn't even know I needed, I can do it with a pumpkin spice latte, or peppermint mocha in my hand people!  And if I am doing this sans family, it is all that much more luxurious!  I can browse, and have a thought in my head that is not interrupted by someone needing a bathroom break, or moaning about how much they need that Lego set, or Nerf gun, or Thomas the freaking Tank Engine, or Disney Princess doll, or trying to make a break for it and running up and down the isles.  I can look at what I want to look at.  Like stuff to organize closets that I will never organize (but I might one day!!), or tablecloths that I will never use because the littles will pull them off the table including the dinner that was set on it.  I can stroll leisurely without the Admiral groaning and looking at his watch and murmuring "Are we about done?  You ready to go?  I am hungry, we need to go get something to eat."

Shopping alone at Target may not sound all that great to some of you, but for me, it is just about the biggest treat this mom could get.  And it wasn't even my birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment